Thursday 28 April 2011

Gillian Wearing

The series of photographs called Signs... brought Wearing international recognition when it was first exhibited in 1993. This selection of five images shows the range of responses which Wearing elicited from passers-by, whom she selected at random, and asked to write their thoughts on a piece of paper. Wearing challenges social stereotypes and assumptions, and often works in collaboration with members of the public as a means of 'interrupting the logic of photo-documentary and snapshot photography.' She has said 'A great deal of my work is about questioning handed-down truths.'




I personally love Gillian Wearing's "signs" pieces. They are really interesting pieces that have a lot of depth and meaning behind them, each time you like at each individual image I see something else within the image. These pieces remind me of my idea of involving the community within my work which i am really excited about researching into.

No comments:

Post a Comment